Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Morning Stand-Up

This summer I've shared the pleasant company of my daughter each morning at breakfast. We've fallen into the habit of standing in the kitchen, waiting for the toaster or the coffeepot, and telling jokes. 

This morning the post-joke banter went something like this...

N: So, mom, sounds like you know a ~lot~ of "a so-n-so walks into a bar..." jokes.
Me: Yeh. I hadn't thought about it, but, I guess I do.
N: Mmm-hmm. [pause, pause, pause] You know I can't tell those on the playground, right? I mean, I'm eleven and all. 
Me: You can change the setting of the joke, you know. The barroom isn't required for the punchline.
N: Oh, good. Because, if I told a lot of bar jokes...you know...people would wonder...not about me...more about you. 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that made me laugh!

Becki

Melissa said...

It's tricky. Now I'm trying to broaden it out and set my jokes in coffee shops or the grocery counter or something. N lets me get through to the punchline, laughs politely and asks "that actually happened when someone walked into a bar...didn't it?"