Thursday, December 20, 2012

Something Small

Sometimes I read the latest news reports and wonder how a person can engage with the darkness of this world and move with something other than despair? 

The news swells in my head like a colorless fog. And I'll walk around filled up with it, or sink into a swamp. 

But in the end I make a conscious, or somewhat conscious, decision I'll make to stand still and pay attention to something small. The sweet smell of soap, or eating sliced apples with my kid. 

And it connects to me, this small thing, whatever it is. The tie between us like the filament in a lightbulb. It offers a sort of comfort. Allows a kind of goodness to grow again in my brain. 

And after a while, sometimes a long while, the just darkness just doesn't feel so close.

No comments: