Friday, August 31, 2012

Short Stories

I collect stories. Short ones. Small bits about peoples' lives, the places they've traveled, the things they know. I fell asleep last night and mulling over a bouquet of short stories I collected this week.

  • D who has researched his mountaineering trip to Tibet. He knows the road conditions to the base-camp of Mt Everest. He has a plan for how to avoid spreading bedbugs upon his return. 
  • The B family who just got a government backed refinance for their home after four years of living under the threat of foreclosure. 
  • M who had to cancel this weekend's road-trip due to treacherous life conditions.
  • TJ who tells me that singing out-loud acts as a mild antidepressant.
  • My friend who found out: sometimes, with relationships, you need to give a little. Your husband's bathroom can have the Star Wars theme. It just isn't that big of a deal.
  • The distinction, from S years and years ago, that there are friends and there are friends that will help you hide a body. 
  • The idea, from T, that we do our best work when we're slightly distracted. The outside influence makes everything richer.
  • C who braces physically and financially for her second emergency surgery without health insurance this year.
  • My GG who insisted on teaching me to drink black coffee in case of an emergency. To this day I prefer my coffee with cream. But, in a pinch, I can drink it black.
  • The oldest woman in the world who attributes her long and good life to minding her own business and not eating junk food.
  • My physics guru, K, said he spent twenty years hiding behind the mathematics of his field. Mathematically he was good to go, conceptually...well...he didn't go there. K has a phD in Physics. He's been an instructor for more than a decade and told me that story as he watched me struggle with my latest physics homework assignment. Conceptually I got it, but I just could not get the numbers to hammer out correctly.   It isn't often that someone so accomplished in his field would extend himself with that kind of intellectual generosity.

No comments: