Wednesday, April 18, 2012

ninja sensei

I had a coffee date last Sunday. N was interested in tagging along for the car ride downtown. She wanted to go to the library just down the street from my coffee date at NuVibe.

I splurged on buying my kid a smoothie, stepped toward the picture windows and pointed her in the right direction toward the library. A block and a half straight-shot in that one direction. Then I hesitated a moment before leaning down to discretely ask whether she was aware she was still wearing her ninja mask?

She rolled her eyes at me. Slurped the smoothie through its straw, and squared the face piece of her mask over her nose. Without a word she walked out the glass door, into downtown Lincoln, without a speck of self-consciousness. 
________
Recent Goodness: This blogpost from the Lily Pad site detailing ten things she'd tell a teenage girl. As M observed point ten on the list is spot on. So much so that it hurts and heals a little to read.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

'Cause that's how ninjas roll!

becki

Melissa said...

Ha! She is quite a ninja.

In my clumsiness I took a tennis ball in the eye this week and had an ice pack on it. N asked whether I would get a black eye. "Maybe," I said. In case I had a shiner, she offered up her ninja mask as a lender. "Thanks, N," I said. "That way nobody would notice the black eye!"

XO