Monday, March 22, 2010

Birthday Cake


Naomi's birthday was last week. With McKibbin's switch to a new, but no less convenient, schedule the first round of chocolate cake baking fell to me. I suppose you could say we're long on cakes around the McKibbin house.

There's the cake we eat at Naomi's birthday party which is always a stunning display of my husband's culinary skills. There's also the small cake the three of us share after dinner on the night of her actual birthday.


To be honest: I'm not huge with desserts. After dinner I'd enjoy coffee with cream as much as a chocolate custard or raspberry cheesecake. Through marriage I was charmed and a little coaxed into eating more desserts, though. McKibbin's creations are quite convincing. So baking this chocolate cake came with some amount of pressure.

I used that recipe you find on the back of the Hershey's metal box. Complete with homemade frosting and dotted with Ghirardelli Chocolate chips on top.

Naomi asked for a small second helping. And I realized I didn't have to suddenly love cakes to bake a good one. I just have to love the person I'm baking the cake for.

2 comments:

m@ said...

i love your family so much, melissa. thanks a million times for this little window into your lives.

Melissa said...

That love comes right back to you, M@.