Monday, November 16, 2009

The Majority

The other night we had a difficult conversation at our dinner table. Not what one would consider a fight. No raised voices or anything. Just a genuine topic of disagreement between the three of us.

I try to be mindful that Naomi is still a newcomer to these disagreements. Especially with those we love. The next day I thought I'd check in with her about it. See how the events had sorted out in her mind.

Me: So last night we had a difficult talk at the dinner table didn't we?
N: Yep. (pause) There for a minute I thought I was going to have to eat in the kitchen.
Me: Eat in the kitchen?
N: Yep.
Me:
Naomi, nobody was in trouble last night. We just disagreed. Being sent from the table only happens when we're not respectful of each other. There's a big difference between disagreeing with someone and being ugly or disrespectful to them.

N: I know. I didn't think I was in trouble.
Me: Whew, ok, that's a relief.
N: I thought I'd eat in the kitchen because I was in the depths of despair.
Me: Really?
N: Yep.
Me: The depths of despair?
N: Yep.
Me:
Woah.

N: But then I remembered the cats were probably on my side. So I felt a little better.


4 comments:

B said...

this made me laugh ~ and I needed that today. Thank you, lovely Landis ladies! I so look forward to seeing you in a few short weeks...

Melissa said...

If only I could capture a fuller description of how she delivered "depths of despair" it would make you laugh so hard you'd cry.

Oh, Becki, you are sure in my thoughts these days with your birthday, your latest blog post, and your soon arrival! Ah, I can't wait to see you!

Sarah said...

Ahhhh hahha how dramatic!:) I love that girl!!!

Anu said...

WoW!aFTER a long time....
I have seen something like this!
I needed a good time with a blog to make myself fresh!
Thanks for doing so!