Thursday, February 21, 2008

Lunar Eclipse

You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection. --Buddha

After a full day of freakishly cold weather and a forecast for cloudy night skies McKibbin and I ventured out to the end of our driveway and watched the total lunar eclipse last night. Cold as it was, the eclipse was lovely.

Celestial events often inspire a unique kind of humility within me. These moments hold the potential to shift my perspective away from daily gripes, or the preoccupations that inspire fitful sleep. I’d like to say last night's eclipse inspired some deep pondering on my part. Nope. The cold air made for a swift brain freeze. McKibbin stood audience to my rudimentary impersonation of Carl Sagan which essentially means I used the phrase “billions and billions” at the crux of every statement. After some time he threw down a few “billions and billions” of his own. We giggled, white vapor hung between us, and the earth’s shadow slowly spread over the moon's surface.

Not a bad way to spend an epoch of time.



1 comment:

Melissa said...

The sun, with all those planets revolving around it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else in the universe to do. -- Galileo Galilei